OPEN POSITIONS AT TRINITY LUTHERAN CHURCH (POSTED 12/3/2013)
Trinity Lutheran Church 301 E. Stuart St. Fort Collins, CO 80525 (970) 482-1226
1. Position Description for Director of Communications and Publications
Mission: The primary mission of the Director of Communications and Publications is to support the ministry and mission of Trinity Lutheran Church (“a welcoming faith community living together in God’s love to share the joy of Jesus Christ”) through the ministry of (I) publications and (II) communications.
(I) Publications—the Director is responsible for the creation, editing, printing and distribution of timely, accurate, and high-quality publications, including:
- Design and printing of weekly bulletin announcements
- Ability to design and print weekly, seasonal, and special-service (funerals, weddings) bulletins
- monthly newsletter (Trinity Tidings): design, printing, folding, request for assembly volunteers, delivery to bulk mail, e-mailing to members & posting on website
- website content (www.trinitylutheranfc.org, maintenance and updates); responsible for fielding website inquiries
- creation of programs for special events
- Trinity’s annual congregational report
- congregational letters and other mailings from pastors, ministries, or church office
- informational packets and website information for weddings, funerals, baptisms, and Confirmation
- handbooks and other administrative materials
- visitors’ cards, brochures and other communications for visitors and guests
- posters/flyers for ministry events
- grant applications (as needed and appropriate)
- Scheduling of bulletin assembly volunteers
- Maintenance of office’s e-mail system and troubleshooting technical issues when appropriate
- Weekly creation of pastors’ notebook, large-print bulletins, First Reading, and Prayers of Intercession
- Ability to effectively refer community members to outside resources for assistance
- Order seasonal bulletin covers
(II) Communications—the Director is responsible for coordinating, with other staff and volunteers, Trinity’s internal and external communications, including:
- Trinity’s communication strategy both within and outside the congregation
- Advertising/promotion of Trinity ministry events, both within the congregation and to local news outlets, via Twitter, Facebook, eNews, our website, the Rocky Mountain synod, local congregations, etc.
- Ability to design color ads for inclusion in the Coloradoan’s Easter and Christmas holiday versions
- communication with members of the congregation and community in person and via phone, mail, email, eNews, via PowerPoint presentations at Welcome Desk
- Maintenance of eNews and Tidings recipients’ e-mail add & drop requests
- Adding of audio recordings of Trinity’s weekend services to website
Expectations: As a member of Trinity’s staff and one of the “faces” of Trinity representing the congregation, the Director of Communications and Publications will:
- Help to provide consistent weekday office coverage, maintaining a warm and welcoming atmosphere for all who enter or contact the office.
- Work in collaboration with Trinity’s staff, pastors, council, and congregation members
- In particular, work with the Office Administrator to develop areas of cross-training/redundancy between their two positions, in order that they may support one another as needed.
- Commit to following Trinity’s staff covenant
- Receive supervision, evaluation and direction from pastors and congregation council
- Participate in weekly staff meetings
- Invite and equip/coach volunteers from the congregation to carry out tasks
Change of Duties: It is understood by the employee that from time to time, other tasks will be required as needed in order to fulfill the overall responsibilities of the position. Furthermore, the specific duties of the employee may change, and this agreement may be modified accordingly.
Qualities: The Director of Communications and Publications should possess the following qualities, skills and experience:
- A sense of calling to this ministry; passion and commitment to Trinity’s mission
- A high school diploma; 2 or more years of college preferred
- Previous experience relevant to the position’s responsibilities and expectations
- Excellent written and verbal communication and publications skills, including good knowledge of proper grammar and punctuation
- Ability to work well as a member of a team in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Skilled use of Microsoft Office 2010, including Word and mastery of Microsoft Publisher
- Knowledge of ACS or comparable church database software is helpful
- Ability to update/modify/add to congregation’s website
- Familiarity with use of appropriate software and Internet programs and resources (Sundaysandseasons.com, ELW hymnal supplements, etc.); Familiarity with SignUp Genius a plus
- Strong organizational, creative and interpersonal skills
- Familiarity and ease with social media use (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Ability to discern and keep confidential sensitive matters
- Ability to take initiative to enhance the effectiveness of this position and the work of the office as a whole
- Ability to adapt flexibly to a daily-changing work environment
- Knowledge and understanding of Lutheran liturgical worship practices a plus
- The Director of Communications and Publications position is a part-time position of 15-20 hours per week. Compensation will be determined based on applicant’s experience, and will be discussed in
- The Director will be responsible for completing and submitting accurate time sheets for each pay period.
- Vacation time will be determined at time of employment.
Candidates interested in the above position should e-mail a cover letter and resume to Pastor Meghan Aelabouni at email@example.com.
POSITION #2: THE TLC NURSERY IS HIRING: The Child Care Attendant will work closely with the Nursery Coordinator and volunteers to ensure the nursery is a secure, nurturing environment where each child will experience the love of Jesus Christ. Work hours are Sundays from 9am-noon, and occasional special events. Position to start immediately; must be at least 18 years old and have a high school diploma; the pay is $10/hr.
Contact Andrea, Family Ministry Coordinator, for the full job description, firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-482-1226.
To search posted employment opportunities on the ELCA's Rocky Mountain Synod website, please click HERE.
Trinity Lutheran Church is a welcoming faith community living together in God’s love To share the joy of Jesus Christ.